home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

National Caramel Corn Day!

I'm always surprised by the "National" days that are recognized.  Nutella Day?  Caramel Corn Day?  I think I may have to institute a "Me" day.  Regardless, I must sheepishly admit that I've had a lot of fun with some of the "celebration" of these days.  In honor of "National Caramel Corn Day", I'm going to prepare a recipe that my mom used to make for us growing up.  My mom was is considered by many a "health nut."  She read every label, and she still shirked from packaged items.  She made *everything* homemade.  This was one of many treats that I looked forward to.  She didn't make it often, but we always had it when we went camping.  I've carried on that tradition, but that's the only time I make it.  Today is a reason to break out the recipe and enjoy some popcorn!

12 C unsalted popped corn
1 C toasted whole almonds
1 C toasted pecan halves
½ C butter
½ C brown sugar
½ t almond or clear Mexican vanilla extract (optional – this is Dawn’s addition)
½ t salt

Combine popcorn and nuts. 
Melt butter and add sugar and salt.  Cook about 30 seconds.
Pour over popcorn and stir.
Spread on jellyroll pan or cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes at 350 stirring once.

No comments:

Post a Comment