home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bento-ish: You are Top Banana & Apple of My Eye

Today's lunch didn't actually go INTO a bento box of any sort.  I used some of the bento containers to hold everything and then put them in a lunch bag....
I don't remember where I found the tags.  I printed out a ton at the beginning of the school year, and I can't seem to locate the original source.  If you want them, send a message to me, and I'm happy to send you the file that I had downloaded for free.

Clockwise from the top left:
  • Aussie apple (see below for cutting "diagram" and instructions)
  • Peanut butter, honey, and a dab of Nutella for apple and rice cake dipping
  • Apple Cinnamon mini rice cakes
  • Kale chips (made the night before)
  • PB&J
  • Banana - written on with pressure only

 Aussie apples are incredibly easy, easy to transport, prevent browning, and don't even dirty a container!  Make 4 slices:
The first one is the longest and goes across the apple near the core. (Horizontal long slice at the top in the picture.)
For the 2nd cut, you can place the apple on it's now "flat side", and cut just to the side of the core. (Vertical long slice on the left side in the picture.)
For the 3rd cut, flip the apple to the newest "flat side", and cut just to the side of the core. (Horizontal short slice on the bottom right of the picture.)
Finally, flip the apple to the newest "flat side", and cut the only remaining piece away from the core. (Vertical short slice on the right.)
Reassemble the apple and place a rubberband around it.
Surprisingly, all 3 of our kids love kale chips.  I was shocked.  I love them, but my husband could take them or leave them.  You peel all of the "veins" from a fresh bunch of kale.  (I make 2 bunches at a time.)  Rinse and thoroughly dry the kale.  Drizzle with olive oil and work through with your hands.  Yes, it's a little messy, but it will make your kale crispy without burning it.  Sprinkle with sea salt.  Bake for 20-35 minutes at 350. 

No comments:

Post a Comment