home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Friday, October 21, 2011

Italian Flag Chicken

If you know me, then you know that I cannot *stand* to watch or hear Rachael Ray.  I'm not a fan of her cookbooks, either.  I'm not a food snob; although I certainly love food and appreciate really great food. 
I have a confession: Her magazine is starting to grow on me.  I don't know where the subscription came from; honestly, I thought it was a joke from a friend at first.  It keeps coming.  I pick it up. I flip through it.  I even *gasp* tried a recipe.
I saw a recipe for "Italian Flag Chicken" in her November magazine, and I altered it some.  I will say that I was happy with the results.  It was healthy and tasty.  Even our little people enjoyed it.

Italian Flag Chicken
adapted from Rachael Ray

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 onion diced & sauteed
  • 8 packed cups stemmed, thinly sliced kale
  • 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
  • 3 oz. shredded fontina cheese
  • 1-2 T minced garlic
  • 1/2 t oregano
  • 1 t thyme
  • 6 large skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 3 lbs.)
  • Salt and pepper
  • 2 T EVOO
  • 2 cans cannellini beans

Directions:

  1. Cook kale in pot of boiling, salted water for 5 minutes; drain and run under cold water. Squeeze dry or spin in a salad spinner and transfer to bowl; stir in tomatoes, garlic, thyme, oregano, sauteed onions, and cheese.
  2. Cut a deep pocket in center of each breast; stuff with kale mixture and season.
  3. Heat EVOO in skillet over medium heat; add chicken and cook about 10 minutes.
  4. Add the beans and any remaining kale mixture to the pan. 
  5. Cook until chicken registers 160 in the thickest part of uncut chicken breast. (Not the stuffing)

No comments:

Post a Comment