home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Boy's Room Makeover 2

I shared that I've been working on our son's room.  I'm still working....but I just had to share the progress.

Out with the standard "tan" walls that the builder painted every wall in our home!  Gray and black add sophistication and a hint at his love of all things "Spy."  I painted the top 2/3 of the walls and the ceiling gray.  I painted the bottom 1/3 black, and then I added the New York skyline all the way around the room.  I added chalkboard vinyl in the spy office, by the Brooklyn Bridge, and under the Statue of Liberty for him to leave secret messages for his spy friends.  I bought glow in the dark paint that I was so excited to use.  Fail. It doesn't glow much when it's painted on.  (It glows great in large amounts...ie. in the tube.)  I intended to make it so that many of the buildings' windows were lit up when the lights were out like a true city.  I'm still trying to find something that will work.  The curtains have been replaced with some that I picked up on sale at Ikea, and they're perfect.  (Black Sarita and gray Ritva)

Because neither my son or I could fully separate with all of the pieces that I had so lovingly made for his nursery, the bear I made from his baby bedding rests on his bed here.
This angle is deceiving; the Empire State building is taller than the Chrysler building which is also taller than the building to the left of the Chrysler building.
The framed pictures on the wall came from a trip my husband and I took to NYC in 2010.  We were there for the 9/11 anniversary and were able to see the pillars of light.  The picture on the shelf is of the women in our family at Top of the Rock; we went for the 10th anniversary of 9/11 in 2011.
I hope to have my father in law build a custom shelving unit with a reading bench for the space where the crane and lamb chair are in the picture below.
The table lamp next to the bed is also from Ikea and has an adjustable height.

 I created a "Secret Spy Office" with a piece of fabric, some snaps, paint, bricks, and some pockets.  The pockets are on the inside and can be used for storing an mp3 player for use in bed and "mail" in the office.


No comments:

Post a Comment