home categories contact about me store
This blog is part of at least one affiliate program. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

DIY Homemade Sugar Scrub Gifts and Free Printable Tags

We live in a fairly humid climate, so once the cold weather arrives and the heaters turn on, I dry out.  SERIOUSLY dry out.  My hands look like molted snake skin, and my fingers crack.  I.hate.it.  I've tried a ton of things, but everything that has worked is so expensive.  I've come up with a concoction that is not only easy to make, but it's inexpensive in comparison to it's counterparts.  Best of all it WORKS!  I'm giving containers of it away this year for Christmas, and I thought I'd make it easier for you to gift it as well!

Recipe for Homemade Warm Sugar Scrub
  • 1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (This *can* be substituted with another oil, but I prefer coconut to make the mixture thicker.  It's not incredibly expensive either.)
  • 1/4 Cup Olive Oil (unscented/unflavored - meaning not rosemary, garlic, etc.)
  • 1/4 Cup Canola or Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Vanilla Extract (I prefer clear Mexican Vanilla)
  • 1/2 tsp. Almond Extract (Can be substituted with any scent you choose: citrus, mint, lavender, etc.)
  • 1 Tbsp. Honey 
  • 16 oz. Dark Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Raw Sugar (Can be substituted with regular sugar.)
  • 2 Tbsp. Vitamin E 
  • More Canola Oil as needed (It doesn't need to be "soupy," and I haven't had to add extra, but it will depend on how dry your sugars are.)
I bought 5 oz. glass jars in sets of 4 (Rajtan) at IKEA for $3.99, and I made stickers to go on the side.  Each recipe makes enough for ~4-5 of the jars depending on how full you fill each jar.  

In order to protect the stickers, you can either use weatherproof sticker sheets, or you could place a piece of clear packing tape over them before cutting them out of a regular sticker sheet.  I intended for the stickers to be cut with a 2" round punch, but you could easily cut them in squares, etc.  OR - if you don't want to use them as stickers, you could print them on cardstock and tie them to your containers.

I've created the printable in a few colors, because I know that some of you may want to coordinate with your other gift wrapping if you're anything like me.  I personally am using yellow and white stickers with a jute/twine ribbon and wrapping gifts in brown kraft paper.  (Why am I using yellow and white?  Well, because we had the most amazing Creamy Limoncello at an Italian restaurant in the Bronx this year, and I'm also going to be making small bottles of that to share with my loved ones!  More to come.)
Rajtan jars of Sugar Scrub on the bottom left.
Empty bottles (from World Market) for Creamy Limoncello are in wait (Top Left.)
Homemade Garlic Olive Oil  (Center)
and my Hubs' Homemade Salsa on the right.

 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment